+ Reply to Thread

Default How to remove soap dish

I have a house bult in the 40's. The bathrooms have those older metal chrome recessed soap dishes that need to be replaced. They seem to be really difficult to remove. Has anyone ever been able to do this and how did you do it?

Default Re: How to remove soap dish

If the soap dish is on a dry wall then cut the dry wall around the soap dish and put a new one.... I think it would solve your problem.... I'm not an expert but I've done such by cutting wall....

If the dish is fit with a tiny screw then... unscrew it...

You'll typically find those soap dishes are either screwed into a stud or held in place by paint and caulk. Run a utility knife around the dish until you can get the blade behind the flange. Remove any visible screws and gently tug, further using the knife as necessary.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    You'll typically find those soap dishes are either screwed into a stud or held in place by paint and caulk. Run a utility knife around the dish until you can get the blade behind the flange. Remove any visible screws and gently tug, further using the knife as necessary.
    It actually sounds a lot tougher than it is.

Quote Originally Posted by eroberts View Post
    It actually sounds a lot tougher than it is.
    It wouldn't be worth doing unless you had to work for it.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

unless you actually want to keep the thing. I would break it into smaller pieces while still on the wall. you will then be able to get behind it without messing with your current tile.

Quote Originally Posted by ajbest View Post
    unless you actually want to keep the thing. I would break it into smaller pieces while still on the wall. you will then be able to get behind it without messing with your current tile.
    That doesn't work with metal dishes.