+ Reply to Thread

Default Concrete Removal

My friends and I are fixing up our yard. There's a lot of debris which we've cleaned out, but there's 4 large blocks of concrete as well as two concrete supports where an old deck used to be. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove all this concrete so we can get our yard looking like a yard again?
    Here's a picture of the blocks:

Default Re: Concrete Removal

Will a jackhammer also work on the old deck supports as well? Or is there something that will work better for those things?

You could try renting an electric jack hammer and breaking it up into smaller pieces and maybe burying it somewhere in the yard, or placing them in a corner and covering it with soil to make a raised flower bed. Whatever you do it will be hard work especially if there are steel reinforcement rods in the concrete. Good Luck!

A jack hammer or roto-hammer will break those things apart, but do not try to bury the rubble, you'll end up making an even bigger headache the next time you want a to change something or worse, problems for the next person to do work in the yard. Best case scenario is you take the rubble to a recycler, worst case you send it to the landfill. You can feed small amounts of it into your street pick-up trash bin and it will be gone in short order.

The large blocks will likely be too large/deep/heavy to move or have any other use, however the two larger flat pieces may have use as step stones or walkway in front of a patio door.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Looks like we'll be playing with a jackhammer soon then. I know we need to wear goggles of course, but any other safety tips? None of us have used one before.