+ Reply to Thread

Default Stucco: Is Thorocoat the only option?

Our 1888 Farmhouse has stucco that is in good condition, but has been patched and modified over the years as doors and windows were moved and additions built.

The result is a bit of an uneven, patchwork look to the stipple that isn't very attractive. There are a few cracks that need repair, so we asked the stucco contractors that bid on the job to quote both spot repair and a "complete re-do" of the stucco siding.

Two of the three contractors interpreted the "complete re-do" as a need for two layers of Thorocoat, but not actually replacing or adding any stucco (except the spot patches).

The third contractor bid on a portland cement re-coat.

I'd like to know if it's possible (or advisable) to simply add a layer of stucco to the existing surface, or if Thorocoat is really the best option. I've received totally contradictory information from the contractors themselves.

Our goal is to improve the overall appearance of the house with a method that will last at least 10-15 years.

I'd appreciate any insight!

Default Re: Stucco: Is Thorocoat the only option?

Before you go to far with repairs or a recoat you have to do some research.
    For that year home the stucco could be NHL ( natural hydralic lime )and not cement, stucco cement depending on your area was induced in the USA in about 1864.
    As for portland cement stucco if your existing stucco has been painted or water proofing applied the cement product may not adhere to existing?
    Now for the Thoroseal get the product name that will be used and check the product data & spec sheets to see if it states that it can be used over your existing substrate.
    Your contractors are most likely using an Acrylic based product.
    If it contains cement make sure it can be used over the Old Stucco.
    On that year home I would not use any ELASOMERIC PRODUCTS.

Thanks for the reply. I live in the Chicago area, and due to the extreme seasonal swings in temperature and humidity, I'd say it's doubtful that the visible stucco is original.

I don't have any concerns that acrylic Thorocoat is appropriate for stucco, I just would like to find out if it is the best option. Assuming that the stucco is not painted, can another layer of cement be applied over the current? Is this normally done?

Quote Originally Posted by MattB View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I live in the Chicago area, and due to the extreme seasonal swings in temperature and humidity, I'd say it's doubtful that the visible stucco is original.

I don't have any concerns that acrylic Thorocoat is appropriate for stucco, I just would like to find out if it is the best option. Assuming that the stucco is not painted, can another layer of cement be applied over the current? Is this normally done?
    Yes a portland cement coating can be applied over non-painted existing stucco.I would suggest a polymer based cement stucco be used.

Thanks very much!