+ Reply to Thread

Angry Low Water Pressure

I have city water. I've had a plumber in to correct my low water pressure problem. The pressure was consistently low at every outlet but did not change if other outlets were opened. He replaced the whole house water filter and the pressure value where the water line first enters the house. He tested and found 60 lbs as the water comes out of the filter to the rest of the house. However, when we turn on any water source, the pressure drops to around 25 lbs. Now if I have one water outlet open and then open another the water pressure at both drops to almost nothing. In other words, the problem is worse and he charged me $1,000.00. He suggested the problem was in the cities water meter. I had them test it and they said it was fine.

Default Re: Low Water Pressure

have you checked all your fixtures for debris? what kind of pipes do you have?

Most filters have a bypass. Try bypassing your filter to see if that is what is causing the pressure drop. I suspect you have 60psi coming in but that the filter is restricting flow.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

i would check the main h2o pipe size. the hot/cold mains should be 3/4" and the feed off lines will be 1/2". your mains could be all 1/2" and that may be a problem. way too many elbows in h2o lines will restrict flow, therefore reduce pressure. and remember that plumbers name u hired?? don't call him/her again. i'm thinking thats way to much. but then again, i'm cheap. i'll try anything and if i'm not sure how to fix something, i'll find out how to do it. but eliminate what u can, like the above poster said, bypass the filter and go from there. bill

Because the water pressure drops so radically at the output of the filter is a good indication that the problem is between the pressure gage connection and the main and most likely the filter.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

If the pressure drops from 60 psi to 25 psi when you turn on any tap, this would indicate that there is a restriction in the supply line somewhere before the gauge. Did the plumber check the flow rate before he installed the new PRV and filter? Is the new PRV pressure setting the same as the old one?
    I would suspect that opening and closing the main valve, has caused some mineral or rust deposits to block the flow at the main valve or at the sediment screen in the new PRV.
    Do you know the age, size and type of pipe that was used for the water service line. If it is an old galvanized line, it may be partially blocked by mineral or rust deposits and the addition of the new PRV and filter may be adding to the friction losses.
    Slow The Flow