+ Reply to Thread

Thumbs down The plumber broke it - why do I have to buy it?

We hired a plumber to install a hydrant on the side of the house to water our garden. Under his advisement, we also had him install a relief valve on the well pump to make it safer. He finished the job and left. The water in the house pulsated with pressure changes and we were unable to run more than one source of water at a time. We contacted the plumber twice before he agreed to take a look. We were unable to be home when he could come out so, we requested he call us to advise us of what was wrong after he made some guesses over the phone. We came home to a new well pump and a bill for $566.19. ($390 for parts and $176 for labor). Do we actually owe him for this job even though the well pump was not broken before he made the requested repairs and we did not authorize him to install a new well pump?

Default Re: The plumber broke it - why do I have to buy it?

Do we actually owe him for this job even though the well pump was not broken before he made the requested repairs and we did not authorize him to install a new well pump?

It's difficult to say whatever work he did previously resulted in the pump failing. Perhaps the pump was ready to go anyway and it was just coincidence in timing--- suspicious yes but you can't rule it out.

Not being a lawyer ( and thankfully so ) I would have to say if there was no agreement -- verbal or written -- to proceed with any repairs then -- no you shouldn't theoretically have to pay for the repair.However, *if* the pump need replacing it had to get done by someone anyway.

"" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Is it working fine now?
    If yes, then pay the man. He has acted in good faith, and you are better off now than before. So even though no contract was signed, there is a contract here.
    just my opinion.

I agree with dj1.
    Installing a relief valve would not cause a pump to fail. If you ask him to come back and fix what ever is wrong then you did have a contract.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb