+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: generators

Default Re: generators

I am student of electrical and electronics engineering.My favorite subject is generator.......
    Hi, my name is Sjors from Amsterdam, Holland. Iíve small webdevelopment Hidden Content company called Web4StartersHidden Content and we love web design.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    Canuk, if I understand things correctly, some generators don't have permanent magnets, but rather depend on residual magnetism in the laminations to "kick start" the generation process. When left to sit long periods of time, these generators lose their residual magnetism and thus cannot generate electricity. This requires remagnetizing (polarizing) the laminations before using the generator again. The process is roughly as Jack describes, but I've never done it so don't ask me for more details! I have a friend who had a welder/generator that had the same problem and he used a process something like that to get it working again.
    Fencepost -- thanks , but I'm pretty familar with the theory behind generators.

I have to admit in my haste reading and with the typo in Edgeking's original post the question or topic wasn't clear --- appologies to Edgeking.
    Jack's reply cleared that for me, though, having used portable welders in the past I've never ran into this issue. Perhaps they were a newer configuration than what Edgeking is working with.

This brings back old memories as a kid on the farm. First learned about this from grandads old John Deere service manual.
    Aside from the old farm equipment this info. came in handy when I was 19 and owned all orginal '56 Chevy ( remember the oil bath air filter? ) which had a generator charging system --- sure wish I still had that car today.
    Last edited by canuk; 03-26-2011 at 05:48 PM.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by Edgeking View Post
    Could i jump terminals in the voltage regulator from the battery to the field terminal?
    You could jump the terminals ( B ) and the ( G ) at the cutout relay or voltage regulator lugs --- not the ( F ) field windings.
    You just need to tap the jumper wire between the 2 lugs in which there may be a small spark --- just takes a split second and it's done.
    - Rush

if it helps or makes a difference it is a hobart champion 16 serial number wro5946

Sometimes google comes in handy
    http://www.hobartwelders.com/service/owners-manuals/

Though the manual that comes up might be a newer version of machine than what you have since it talks about checking and changing brushes and no proceedures for polarlizing.
    - Rush