+ Reply to Thread

Thread: downspout

Default downspout

I live in cold climate. If downspout is buried 12 inches under gound can there be a problem of this freezing up and how can this be a problem and how to best correct this.
    Thanks

Default Re: downspout

if you dont want the downspout buried in the ground, its a simple fix, first cut it off flush to the ground then fill wil hydraulic cement. from there cut it off about 12" above grade then install a elbow then a short run of spout to redirect it away from the foundation. about a 20 min task
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by l.bro View Post
    I live in cold climate. If downspout is buried 12 inches under gound can there be a problem of this freezing up and how can this be a problem
    If there is any standing water in the piping it will freeze. Depending on the material the piping is made from it can break from the expanding ice.
    Keep in mind if it's underground the frost will remain longer than above ground. The downspout will gain from solar heating and higher ambient air temperatures to thaw any freezeup inside the piping.
    If the downspout is blocked with ice then any water trying to drain from the evestroughs won't have anywhere to drain to.

and how to best correct this.
    Thanks
    Get it out of the ground and have it lay on top of the ground.

Personally I don't know why downspouts are ever placed in the ground to begin with.---- especially if they are tied into foundation perimeter drain creates more potential problems.

There's far more advantage with them dumping on the ground surface for better run off.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Personally I don't know why downspouts are ever placed in the ground to begin with.---- especially if they are tied into foundation perimeter drain creates more potential problems.

There's far more advantage with them dumping on the ground surface for better run off.
    Not everyone lives in sub-freezing climates, for those of us in warmer areas underground drainage makes a lot of sense, though this doesn't lessen the need for properly graded ground surfaces to promote good drainage and runoff.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Cold region aside --- unless your fortunate to have incrediable soil that drains perfectly ---- it still makes more sense for surface drainage rather than saturating the soil below the surface --- in my mind.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

There ya go, it's all in your mind. That explains a few things ...

I would agree if you're relying on a drain field or French drain to contain the water until it can dissipate, although even this is better than standing surface water in many cases.

I'm more referring suburban settings where property owners have access to municipal drainage systems. In these parts, lots are too small for any amount of runoff to be able to naturally peculate, let alone inundation from gutters and downspouts. The property I'm on, for instance doesn't drain well as it is, and when the house was built, the morons dug a hole to put the house in, so a drainage system out to the city storm drains is a must. The downpours we've had in this latest storm has kept the 3" drain line running half to three quarters full. If we were prone to freezing, this place would be a nightmare! Ok, more of a nightmare than it already is.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

From downspout to street I will need 30foot of drain. It will be above ground along retaining wall made of unistone. Any ideas on how to fix it to the ground so it will not move and stay put.
    Could some kind of stake be put around this drain.
    Thanks very much