+ Reply to Thread

Default How many TOH members does it take to change a light bulb?

My home has enclosed, recessed ceiling fixtures circa the 60's or 70's. They have a metal rim holding in a glass cover plate, and the rim is snug against the ceiling tiles. The rim is all one piece and the glass is tight under the rim. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to open these fixtures and change the bulbs... I was hoping to change out the fixtures before all the bulbs burnt out, but monetary woes have stalled that process. Can anyone out there guide me through the procedure? I wanted to post a picture but they won't let me . I'm pretty handy and have most common tools at my disposal. Thanks!

Default Re: How many TOH members does it take to change a light bulb?

Grasp the outside of the metal rim and pull straight down. These fixtures use spring clips to hold the rim and glass in place, just like bathroom exhaust fan grilles.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

if you can't get your fingers in there, try sliding a putty knife between the glass and the frame to allow you to pull down on the frame.

It seems to me I remember some of the old units the the ring and lens assembly screwed in.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Yup, spring clips! Not exactly like my bathroom exhaust fan, but similar. Getting between the glass and the frame and pulling down was a good suggestion. Thanks guys!

See by the responses no number of TOH advisers can change a light bulb they just tell you how .... what did i win?

Real TOH members do not change light bulbs, they are not afraid of the dark.
    Slow The Flow

Real TOH members keep the light bulb and change the fixture.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

LOL this keeps getting better and better

TOH members are done with lightbulbs. They switched to LEDs.