+ Reply to Thread

Post Loose tiles in pantry

With all of the snow we had this past winter in New England some of the tiles have come loose in my Pantry. It appear that as a layer of ice build up on the deck outside and then melted that some of the water worked itís way in through though the threshold and the fascia boards in that general area. None of the ties have broke and at this point only a few are loose.

My question is do I need to retile the entire area or can I ground out the tiles that are loose and a few of the surrounding tiles, clean the surrounding area and reply the tiles?

Also, to prevent water from seeping in again should I put lead sheathing on the inside edging of the threshold?

Default Re: Loose tiles in pantry

How was the tile floor constructed? Were the tiles installed over a wood base?

HoustonRemodeler,

Yes under the tiles is a plywood floor.

Also,

They are 12x12 tiles and the floor is level.

Tiling over bare plywood is very risky and most pro's won't do it. You should have some sort of underlayment between the tile and the plywood. The John Bridge Tile forum will be your best source for all the information you need.

Smile Re: Loose tiles in pantry

Houston Remodeler,

I mis understood your question and had been looking up from the basement to confirm the base floring was ply work, but I can also confirm from the diagram shown on the page you had recomended that yes there is a concrete base and laminent layer. If there is now damage to those layers and the only part that has failed is what appears to be the bond between the laminent and the tiles can I remove the tiles clean up off any Mortar and thinset and follow the process to put the tile back in place or do I need to remove all of the tile and redo the whole floor?

Mike

Mike,

What is this laminate of which you speak???

Houston Remodeler,

Sorry about the mix ups with terminology. From the article you pointed me to, everything that I could see looked like it was done the way it should be. See attached image from the article.

So I guess my only question is can I grind out or score the grout to take out all loose tiles. I have done this on one, but I have 2 other tiles that are loose clean away any thinset and grout on the tiles and down to the base mortar and reapply each tile with thinset?

Mike
    Last edited by mobrien100; 03-29-2011 at 09:38 AM. Reason: need to reattach attachment