+ Reply to Thread

Question Cabinets that overlap tiles and now want to re-do floors...

My kitchen was redone without doing the floors a long time ago, but all the cabinets and countertops are still in perfect condition (and beautiful). Some of the cabinets are sitting on tiles and we want to re-do the kitchen floors. The tile will either have to be cut around the cabinets or broken up with a hammer and perhaps leave a jagged edge. How should I remove the tiles that are partially under the cabinets without taking cabinets out? What's the safest way? Easiest way?

Default Re: Cabinets that overlap tiles and now want to re-do floors...

There is a device called a 'toe kick saw'. They can be a bit daunting to use, but when outfitted with a dry diamond blade, will do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    There is a device called a 'toe kick saw'. They can be a bit daunting to use, but when outfitted with a dry diamond blade, will do the job.
    It bares mentioning that dry cutting tile/masonry creates a whole lot of dust! Make sure that you remove everything from the area, tent it, and ventilate it outside with fans to keep from coating everything inside your house with dust. Using a shop vac at the point of dust creation will go a long way to helping minimize the mess as well.

As a precaution, you may want to get a piece of sheet metal to shield the cabinets as you're working, that way any slips with the saw won't damage the cabinet.

Be safe! Wear a good quality dust mask - the kind with two elastic bands are better fitting and have better filtration than single band masks. Wear eye and ear protection. Wear a shirt with a high neck and long sleeves and pants. Knee padding would be a good thing as well.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Toe kick saw! Great idea and I can see how that would get really dusty.

Just as a follow-up question to try and steer away from the dust issue, and I know "beggars can't be choosers", but is there a more manual way like chisel and hammer? or is it not easy or a good idea to try and get a straight line out of a chisel in the middle of a tile?

Of course, thank you so much for the responses already. Very fast and very helpful!!

Depends on the tile and how well it's stuck to the floor. You will probably be using a roto-hammer with a chisel bit to pop the tile up and clean the floor. You can probably use it to score the tile along the cabinets, then get under to break it off flush with the face of the cabinet box. Toe kicks will be a bit harder to do this way, but not impossible. Also keep in mind that adding baseboards around the base of the cabinets will hide any overly nasty stuff. That is not to say you're going to leave a mess, you need to get as close to the cabinets as possible, but "perfection" isn't a necessity.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Use a chipping hammer to get the bulk of the floor up, do as much damage to the tile as you can headed towards the toe kick and cut out the remaining bits. If you are talented with the chipping hammer, and the tile is ceramic (and not porcelain) than you stand a pretty good chance of getting it out as ceramic is softer bodied.

DO be prepared for dusty, dirty, heavy, hours of kneeling on rubble. This isn't the pleasant side of remodeling shown on TV. Take the precautions to keep your lungs and eyes protected. Replacement parts are hard to come by.

DO be prepared for dusty, dirty, heavy, hours of kneeling on rubble. This isn't the pleasant side of remodeling shown on TV. Take the precautions to keep your lungs and eyes protected. Replacement parts are hard to come by.
    Heeeyyyyyyy! I said that already! Except the part about tv shows and replacement parts.

Some things we can't underscore enough. Remodeling can be hard heavy labor and this is one time where there will be a few dollars added to the cuss jar. I can see a DIYer easily getting frustrated and wondering what they are doing wrong, why it isn't going easily, why its taking so long, why they even started this is in the first place, and what were they thinking.

After reading that I'm beginning to wonder about my choice of career....
    Last edited by HoustonRemodeler; 03-21-2011 at 10:50 PM.

After reading that I'm beginning to wonder about my choice of career....
    Yeah, been there myself more than once! I finally had to change professions once I came about my wits.