+ Reply to Thread

Default Lack of plumbing vent pipes for entire house

I have a 140 year old solid brick home, two story with a basement. There are no vent pipes to any of the plumbing. I am getting ready to remodel the second floor bathroom, so installing a vent pipe there is no problem. My question regarding the second floor is do I have to physically connect a vent pipe to each drain, and run them all to one pipe which will go thru the roof, or wil one vent pipe hooked to the whole bathroom feeder system work? Also, I am concerned with the plumbing in the basement, and the ability to vent the existing first floor drains. Can I install a vent that hooks to each feeder drain and the soil pipe together, and route the vent horizontally out the basement wall to the outside? If I can vent this horizontally out the basement wall, do I need to put a long section of pipe vertical on the outside, or will a small elbow on the outside suffice? Thanks- Enjoy the show

Default Re: Lack of plumbing vent pipes for entire house

Generally the soil stack is continued up through the roof, a vent for the lav is attached to the soil pipe vent above the level of the sink and another to the bath. The reason being you don't want the flushing of the toilet or the emptying of the sink or tub to suck the water out of the other traps. The first floor would require a separate vent either going to the roof or attached to the soil vent above the upstairs bathroom highest drain.
    Jack

Edit- Another option, if they are allowed would be Air Admittance Valve like the Studor
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 03-18-2009 at 09:55 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

you can't just randomly attach vent pipes to each fixture. first off, you have to check to see what your state codes recommend. in mass, you have to have a certain sized vent pipe within a certain distance of each fixture and the distances and sizes depend on what you're venting. this is a big job and i would definitely have a professional plumber look at it or advise you as to how to continue. also, there are code requirements as to how far exterior vent pipes have to be from windows.

Howdy, consider checking out a basic plumbing book from the Library or get one at Lowes home depoe etc. it will show you how to branch the vent pipes. You might get all you answers at a plumbing supply company, counter guys tend to be very knowledgable. There are at the ficture vents that operate with a suction /membrane open when suction created by water running down the waste pipe and close when not.

In addition to the above comments, I would also like to emphasize the importance of checking with local building codes. The codes are created for importatn reasons. Also, you might be able to find a plumber to help "consult" for a much smaller fee than doing the actual job for you.