+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Easiest way to route wiring for remodel cans when ceiling not accessible from above

Please refer to the attached before-after diagram.

The before diagram is the ceiling, as viewed from below. Dashed lines represent joists, not visible, but assume they can be located with precision using a stud finder. There is a pre-existing conventional light in the center of the ceiling; it will remain. Four "old construction" remodeling cans are to be added, from below, per usual. The ceiling is NOT accessible from above.

Refer to the after picture, which shows that four installed cans are to be powered from the pre-existing light in the center of the ceiling.

The obvious challenge, given the insulation and joists, is to somehow "fish" the new Romex past all the obstacles, but in the most efficient way. Is the only recourse to either remove or RotoZip the wallboard? Are there any tricks or tools by which to minimize the work involved in this project?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Easiest way to route wiring for remodel cans when ceiling not accessible from abo

Cutting drywall, and one of those long flexible spade bits will do it.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Default Re: Easiest way to route wiring for remodel cans when ceiling not accessible from abo

Can't see the drawings to be able to offer any suggestions.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Greenlee D'VersiBIT flexible drill bits. I have a couple, and they work great. Be sure you get the guide handle, too.

These bits are up to 6 feet long with flexible shafts (extensions available). You insert it into an existing hole to drill through a concealed stud, joist, or plate.

I believe they are available at The Home Depot and probably other big-box stores as well.
    Last edited by Fencepost; 03-20-2011 at 11:46 AM.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.