+ Reply to Thread

Default leaking tub faucet

The cold water faucet or regulator seems to be leaking. I guess I need to pull out the cartridge and see if the O ring needs to be replaced. But it looks like the cartridge can be damaged pretty easily by a pair of pliers just pulling it out. Should I replace the whole thing or just caulk the connection from the pipe to the cartridge?

Default Re: leaking tub faucet

Caulking will do nothing for your problem. If you can find a make on the faucet I may be able to help you. With out that no one can help you with replacing the cartridge.

John

Take the old cartridge to Home Burrito or even better, a good plumbing supply store. Buy and install a cartridge for BOTH the hot and cold water. They are cheap, and the hot will be leaking soon anyway.

With so many brands on the market today, nobody stocks all stems and cartridges. Special orders take forever to arrive. Find your faucet brand (the name could be hidden behind), get on their website and find your stem. If there are seats, replace them too. Replace the hot too, like the Texan says.

Thanks for all the help! The faucets happen to be pretty cheap contractor special. I made sure I had the pipe size correct and I am prety much going to replace everything! Might as well upgrade it all to something I really want.