+ Reply to Thread

Default attic insulation

we have the old insulation in our attic from 1983. it looks like cotton. we put in some rolls about 5 years ago of the pink panther stuff. the salesman told my husband to put it between the joists. unfortunately, my husband put it over the rafters. i didn't think it sounded right but he insisted. i see now by the video this was wrong. i am going to buy some more (we need it)and put it in right and rearrange what is in there. my question is, can i put plywood on top of it to use it for storage? i know what it said about air circulation near the joists. i mean right up inside of the attic. about 2 feet. we are in nc, the south.

Default Re: attic insulation

you can absolutely put flooring/plywood over the joists after you insulate, a majority of the homes up here in the north east have it done that way for attic storage. the ventilation they're talking about is for the attic as a whole, not the space between the plywood and the ceiling below.

Default Re: attic insulation

i watched the video this morning. when we put it in, I thought we should lay it between the rafters but that's not what the man said. so we laid it over the rafters. I need that extra storage space, I just didn't want to make it worse than it is. I will change it and rearrange it to lay between the wood. then put the plywood over it. ***, thanks.