+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Painted brick?!

Question Painted brick?!

Hello,
    My husband and I are buying our first home. We love the interior and the neighborhood is great. The house was built in 1950 and, like all the other houses on the block, is brick. Unfortunately, the previous owner painted the brick gray! I really like the look of natural brick, so I want to try to remove the paint. In the brief research I did, I read that sandblasting and power washing are not only messy, but they can damage brick. One site I found said the best way to remove it without doing damage is to use a paint thinning gel. I know it would be a long process, but it's a pretty small house and I really don't want to do any damage. Does anyone have any advice on products to use and/or any other ideas?
    Thank you!

Default Re: Painted brick?!

I think the removal with gel would be very very tedious.

I would consider just painting a color that you might like more than what's there. I actually don't mind the look of painted brick. I think you just need to choose the right body and trim colors.

Maybe a pic of the house would give others some ideas.

What you would want to investigate is "soda washing" Its power washing where baking soda is used as a non toxic abrasive. In the hands of a professional, the brick will not be harmed. Do a test area first as always.

Get several bids and while its being done, have a pair of binoculars to watch from the curb.

Thanks. I will look into the soda blasting. If that doesn't pan out, I am considering painting it red.

I guess that it look little odd and snatch the beauty of building in long run. So I advice you to avoid it.

Painted brick? It sounds like the former owners were watching too much HGTV "Curb Appeal." Sorry, just had to share my distaste for the seemingly trendy practice of painting perfectly nice bricks!

I had seen something not too long ago where there is an alternative to blasting with sand which is too aggressive, and also for soda blasting, it uses dry ice pellets that are shot at the surface to remove the coating. they are strong enough to pull off the paint and dirt, but do not penetrate the surface and damage the skin. The pellets explode upon impact and leave nothing substantial in terms of residue. Just google dry ice blasting brick , or dry ice brick cleaning

Smile Re: Painted brick?!

I hate to tell you this but it is close to impossible to remove paint from brick. The brick may have different colors and makes of brick so even after your work has completed there are no guarantees you will be happy. I can suggest that you find a lighter color of paint and experiment with highlighting with contrasting colors in the grout lines to see if it will work for you it is a lot of work. Good Luck.

Well "firsthome", have you done anything to your exterior bricks by now?
    We all want to know...

Quote Originally Posted by robertallen View Post
    I guess that it look little odd and snatch the beauty of building in long run. So I advice you to avoid it.

iam agree with that , u should avoid it