+ Reply to Thread

Thread: uneven floors

Default uneven floors

I have an old house that I'm redoing. When we removed the carpet from the upstairs master bedroom, we found that the floor is really uneven. It slopes almost 3" and we are at a loss as to how to fix it. I'd like to install laminate flooring and it needs to be level.
    Thanks

Default Re: uneven floors

Please don't follow that link. The advice there is ... lacking.. at best.

1- You do need to identify the high spot and low areas.

2- If you are going to use self leveling compounds (SLC)there are a bunch of steps to follow
    A- Clean and prime the wood surface using the same manufacturer's primer.
    B- block off all the places where the SLC can run into. SLC is mixed to the consistency of chocolate milk, so it will run down any cracks it can find. Use caulk, tape, foam, and dam those areas.
    C- If you use the rapid setting SLC then you'll need to work VERY quickly and have at least one helper. The longer setting stuff is easier to work with. Home Depot normally stocks the rapid. Flooring stores normally carry better SLC's for use with linoleum and can be spread to a feather finish.
    D- You'll need to install some foam seal around the edges of the walls where the SLC will be poured. The SLC will need some expansion room around the edges, just like your hardwood floor.
    E- Practice with the SLC first. It can be tricky stuff to get used to.

3- You might not need the upper layer of plywood. If you do add a second layer of plywood, install it in the manner described in this article, as you will get a superior end product. http://www.johnbridge.com/images/mik...-0604.pdf..pdf While the article was written for the tile industry, the principles are the same.

If the floor slopes toward the door; i.e.: the door is lower than the opposite side, you can't level it by adding material, and it's probably not worth doing unless you were building a bathroom. You'd have to either jack the low spots, or remove material from the tops of the high joists, after removing all flooring. This isn't the greatest DIY job, and like I said probably not worth it.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

are you certain its 3" out. that is quite a bit for a floor, provided an old bearing wall may have been removed and a beam never put it in the walls place.

if boards were used to sheath the floor, it being uneven isnt unheard of its expected in this day and age. the boards probably werent uniform thickness and with them drying out it will become more noticable, same for the floor joists. installing a layer of 1/2 or 5/8" plywood over the old boards can make it less noticable however there will be a height difference anywhere a transition takes place from one finished floor to the new. self leveling concrete will also work. just do what works best for you both for time and for budget
    fire up the saw and make some dust

The other danger to watch for is the total amount of weight added to this floor. 3 inches of SLC would get mighty heavy and may cause more problems.

They are correct, check for structural flaws first.