+ Reply to Thread

Default Cold bedroom above unheated garage

I am planning to insulate under floor of my cold bedroom which is right above unheated garage. I will be using ultratouch batts but I think it may not be enough to keep the bedroom warm. I do not want to use a spray foam.

Can I install rigit foam board first and then add the batts on top? I think I will need vapor barier as well (I live in Seattle). Can the rigit board substitute the polyethylene plastic sheet? If so, how and what kind of board should I use?

Please advice.

Default Re: Cold bedroom above unheated garage

Cold bedroom above a garage is one of the most difficult heating problems to effectively solve.

I would recommend that you first consult the Yellow Pages under "Heating Contractors" and get one or two free consultations as to what a pro would do to solve this problem---get a dollar quote estimate in writing for the proposed project for each estimate.

This may well involve adding or extending your present heating system to the floor boards, or using a radiant floor system (elec or hot water) before using the insulation.

What type of heating system do you have now???

You can then decide to diy or to hire a contractor.
    Last edited by NashuaTech; 03-19-2011 at 09:46 AM.

The exisitng heating source is oil-fired furnace, central heating. The garage and the floor in the bedroom is not insulated at all.

Before you insulate make certain you've plugged all leaks. That's always the first thing to do because once you insulate the holes are hidden.

If you don't want to use foam due to health issues then use caulks or even foil tapes with good adhesives.

Because this in a garage there are fire code issues to deal with. Most codes require fire barrier materials for all walls and the ceiling. Since the least expensive option here will almost certainly be installing sheet rock (usually 3/8" is sufficient but check your local code) I'd suggest, sight unseen, the following:

1. Find and seal all penetrations from the garage to the living area.
    2. Sheet rock the garage ceiling.
    3. Have a professional come in to blow cellulose insulation between the garage sheet rocked ceiling and the floor above.

The cellulose is going to provide good insulation, is inexpensive, and environmentally friendly (has the lowest embedded energy of all insulation types.) Batt insulation is never installed properly.