+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: garage service panel

Quote Originally Posted by rockomalone View Post
    thanks everyone for the good advice! Will i be able to run the three wires in the conduit and install the ground rod and ground wire directly to the sub panel ?
    No, you must run 3 wires plus ground from the main panel to the sub and install a ground electrode which is connected directly to the sub-panel.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    No, you must run 3 wires plus ground from the main panel to the sub and install a ground electrode which is connected directly to the sub-panel.
    Jack
    When wiring a sub-panel, you'll have to run a ground as Jack describes. But you'll also have to have separate neutral and ground bus bars in the subpanel; the neutral and ground should NOT be tied together in the subpanel. Also, the neutral bus bar should NOT be bonded to the frame of the panel, but the ground should be. The only place ground and neutral should be connected is at the main panel.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

thanks again ! all 4 wires will need to be in the conduit then? I'm clear on the rest,seperation of ground and common,OK.