+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default garage service panel

I have 100 A service in my home and I would like to run service to my new garage (85 ft)away! I would like to be able to run a 220 welder and air compressor(220) on occassion as well as shop lites and small tools. I've gotten a lot of arm chair advice and suggestions ranging from buried cable to conduit & cable and upgrading my service panel in the house to 200A and runing 100 A out to the garage.

Default Re: garage service panel

Rocko,

What are the loads in your home? HVAC and other uses. The question is total amperage usage at any given time.

Solely because of the physical arrangement, and because my electric co-op is so inexpensive, I have a separate 100 AMP service to my barn.

That being said, I use relatively little electricity in it but had a 100 AMP load center installed. It has been really nice, even though I know only use 4 breakers, to have all that open space for adding things in the load center.

I would put a separate 100 AMP panel (or whatever you need) right in your shop.

Good luck.

I do not have A/C ,just a window unit for the summer,electric range,dryer thats it! 1,000 sq ft home and 1,200 sq ft garage. I don't mind doing a little more than neccessary, just don't want to cut too short and have to re do in the future.

Rocko, what are the chances of you welder, compressor, lights and small tools all being used as well as the range dryer and window AC all being used at the same time?

If the're never going to come on together you may squeeze by with your 100A house panel feeding a 60A 120/240 panel in your garage.

Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, thesemi-retiredelectrician.com

I agree with The Semi-Retired Electric ,with an electric dryer, refrigerator,window A/C unit, and the electric range all going at the same time you would only draw about 50 amps. And what are the chances of that happening? You will need a 60 amp service to your garage if you are using a stick welder.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

thanks for the advice! what size wire will I need to run the 60 A 120/240 out to my garage(85 ft)? will there be a subpanel in the garage or next to the service panel in the home? will it be neccessary to run the wire in conduit through my basement and under ground to the garage?Thanks again for all your help!

You should probably go with three 4 ga. wires and a 6 ga. ground wire, a sub-panel in the garage with the neutral and ground buses separate, a ground electrode installed at the garage and connected to the panel. As far as how you run it it would be best to check with your local building dept for there requirements as the requirements very from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Here the only place you need conduit is where the cable leaves the house down into the trench and out of the trench into the garage if you use UF cable and the trench only needs to be 12" deep unless it is under a drive.

Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 03-20-2011 at 09:11 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

A lot of good info on here, if it were me i would run in 1 1/2" conduit. Not because it needs it, but just because if i ever want to upgrade it would be an easy job. Good luck and be safe.

thanks everyone for the good advice! Will i be able to run the three wires in the conduit and install the ground rod and ground wire directly to the sub panel ?