+ Reply to Thread

Red face Sewer Inspection by Plumber VS Purchase

First off I am a pretty handy guy and can do my own plumbing and repairs for my new home, when I get one. I am looking at a home purchase and have not found that house that says home yet.

I have found several sites that recommend a sewer line inspection using a camera but these are going to be about $300 and up in cost for a plumber to come out and perform. I have found camera setups for about $400-$700 on the internet, yes cheap but they seem pretty decent for the light use I would put them through.

If I could purchase one for that $400 to $700 and have it on hand for future use, neighbors borrowing it and such would this be a better investment than having a plumber do it. Even if I did get the first home I used it on I feel it might be a better investment than having a plumber do it. If I did not get the home I first made an offer on and used it on the next one then I would end up saving on the second home I use it on.

I do understand what I need to be looking for and such through having watched a plumber do this on the home I am currently renting as well as the usual knowing what plumbing is from working on my own plumbing. I can also get advice from the internet and such and I do understand that a professional will know more but I can also see what things look like to help me in my home purchase decision.

You get the idea, what are your thoughts. Should I purchase a sewer camera system for less than $700 and always have it available for my own use or just go the plumber route?

Default Re: Sewer Inspection by Plumber VS Purchase

A report by a "professional" plumber or sewer inspector may give you more leverage in negotiating the purchase price than your own layman's opinion, if there is a problem.

If you will be seriously considering several houses, you might do your own inspection first, and if you see something troubling, throwing in the $300 for the professional report. After looking at 3 or 4 houses, it will probably be cheaper than hiring a pro every time, since you'll only need to hire the pro for those with apparent problems.

But the real questions are, do you want to have to clean up a stinky sewer cam, and will Joe Homeowner trust you not to splatter **** all over his bathroom?
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

You might see what is available for rent. Rental on such a beast would probably only be $50 - $75 and you'd only have to get it when you suspected a problem OR were looking at homes more than say 30 years old.

Like you, I like to have the right tool when I need it and would rather purchase something than rent or have to hire out. What I weigh when deciding on a tool purchase vs. rental vs. hiring a pro is the overall tool cost, the likely amount of use it will see, and what would hiring the work done cost.

Example, your camera costs $700. Say you can rent it for $70 a day, that means you have to use it at least 10 times before it's paid for itself. A pro costs you $350, so that means you'd only have to use it twice. If you think you'd use it more than twice in a year or so, then rental is certainly a better option, leaning towards purchase. If you can get 5 to 8 uses per year out of it, then purchasing makes more sense. Keep in mind that a device like this MAY have other uses, for instance - and this is a spit ball - you could inspect HVAC ducting. If you're an automotive kinda person there are times when you can't see what you're trying to get at under a dash or behind the engine and a camera would be handy. Not saying that this would work with a sewer camera, but if you can find other uses, then the purchase price just got all that much better, didn't it.

Note - After being down the business end of a sewer pipe, you'd definitely want to clean and sanitize it before trying to send it through an HVAC duct or any other use.

Just saying ...
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Sewage and Garbage collection is a very big problem specially in cities with people moving in,there are numerous newer techniques used to make efficient sewage and garbage dumps, Phoenix plumber did a very good job and we don't have troubles of cleaning
    the tanks, i always trust a recognized company to do my work rather than a single man because their work is guaranteed