+ Reply to Thread

Default Improper Flashing of Windows and leakage

For a point of reference, here is a link to a picture of the front of my townhouse.

http://www.dubinresidential.com/site.../20049_482.htm

Looking at the picture, both the second and third floor windows are leaking. There's no picture, but on the rear of the building on the third floor, it's leaking too. It's leaking between the window and the framing of the house. Here's a small video on youtube that shows leaking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK-ezI6d1jQ

My research is showing that possibly the flashing for the windows either wasn't install or installed properly. I live in Illinois, and from what I gather flashing is part of code and should have been done.

With the video, would anyone agree with me or does it seem like a different issue?

I've contact my association to see if anyone else in the complex is having similar issues. I find it troubling that I'm not getting a reply after 2 emails. But I'm still holding out hope for a couple of days more.

Any insight into this would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by mwskibumb; 03-17-2011 at 10:32 AM.

Default Re: Improper Flashing of Windows and leakage

It could be the window flashing but it could also be a leak at the roof running down through the walls.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: Improper Flashing of Windows and leakage

i agree with jack on this. it looks like hte building has a pa****t wall on top. if the walls cap flashing is leaking or the counterflashing where the wall meets the flat portion of the roof is. water will easily get in behind the brick and from there run down the framing and behind the window.

chances are the window either wasnt flashed or the flashing wasnt back caulked. when i set my aluminum cap flashings i always run a bead of clear caulking on the back of the aluminum before setting it in place, from there i will also run a strip of 4" vycor along hte top edge. both are extra step precautions but do the trick, rarely done by installers who work fast as opposed to working right
    fire up the saw and make some dust