+ Reply to Thread

Default do I have to have a hood on my stove?

Do I have to have a hood/fan over my gas stove? If so is there some sort of ratio or something I should be aware of? Could I get by with just a fan in the wall? This was the setup I had at another house.

Default Re: do I have to have a hood on my stove?

i can't speak for missouri, but i know there's no regulation in mass stating that you must have one at all.

I think it's fairly common to install ranges with downdraft vents where it's not practical to have a hood, so I don't see why your idea of a thru-wall vent without a hood wouldn't work.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

While local code and regulations vary from place to place, there's no requirement that I know of, however, IMHO it's a good idea to have a vent above a stove period, let alone a gas unit. Back in the old days before vented hoods, a fan through the wall was quite common. My last house, while it had a hood, did vent through the wall.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Well speaking of back in the old days, we didn't have a hood or through the wall fan. There is no code requirement as far as I know. You just need to clean the kitchen walls and ceiling more often.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks to all, you helped solve a huge problem for me!