+ Reply to Thread

Default Adding a switch to pull chains

I have two pull chains fixtures in a room. The wire comes from the breaker box to a pull chain light to a second pull chain light. I would like to just keep the pull chains, but add a switch on the wall (the pull chains would just be on all the time but run by the switch). The door opens right by the second light (end of the line). Can anyone help me with a way to wire this easily? Step by step? I would appreciate it.

Default Re: Adding a switch to pull chains

New NEC code will require you to run 3 cond from light where power enters to switch. All white wires nutted together, all ground wires nutted together. The white wire to the switch will be nutted and not used unless you add a lighted switch , motion switch, or digital switch. See attached drawing.

Jack

Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Jack, NEC 2011 Art 200.7 (C) (1) still allows the white to be re-identified as an ungrounded conductor to a switch but it must now be the supply to the switch not the switched leg.

Are you refering to something your local jurisdiction tacked on to the NEC?.

It might not be such a bad idea to run 3w to such a switch, which as you say would allow a switch later on that requires a neutral.

Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, thesemi-retiredelectrician.com

What about the black wires at the light?

Quote Originally Posted by The Semi-Retired Electric View Post
    Jack, NEC 2011 Art 200.7 (C) (1) still allows the white to be re-identified as an ungrounded conductor to a switch but it must now be the supply to the switch not the switched leg.

Are you refering to something your local jurisdiction tacked on to the NEC?.

It might not be such a bad idea to run 3w to such a switch, which as you say would allow a switch later on that requires a neutral.

404.2(C) Switches Controlling Lighting
    A new rule will require a neutral conductor at nearly every switch point.
    404.2 Switch Connections.
    (C) Switches Controlling Lighting. Switches controlling line-to-neutral lighting loads must have a neutral provided at the switch location.

This change was made because of the proliferation of lighted, digital, and motion switches that require a neutral. This will require single switch loops to be done with 3 cond cable and most 3-ways with 4 cond. cable.

Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 03-17-2011 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by m_albertsen View Post
    What about the black wires at the light?

Look at the two drawings. The top is what you have the bottom is what you need to change. If you can't follow the drawing might I suggest you get someone qualified to do the job. Not trying to be rude just cautious.
    Jack

My appology and complements to Jack. I was working off the 2011 Codebook and a recent seminar I attended on 15 Jan 2011.

As Jack pointed out a neutral is now required at almost every switch location.

Actually, since many of the problems we see on this forum involve lack of a neutral at the switch locations they may disappear..over time.

Thanks, Gentlemen!