+ Reply to Thread

Default Shower Leaks Only After Showering

I have a basement bathroom shower that leaks, but not during the time when someone is showering, only after. I see water leaking into the adjoining utility room about 15-20 minutes after the person showers. The water comes from under the drywall -- no evidence of soaking the drywall at all -- and it runs across and down the concrete flooring in utility room into the floor drain. The stream of water is about 2" wide. There is absolutely "no" evidence of leaking in the bathroom itself where the showering occurs. The bathroom floor is completely dry. This trail of water has been observed coming into the utility room for some months now! Can anyone solve this mystery? Frustrated and

Default Re: Shower Leaks Only After Showering

a 1st guess, and solely a guess, would be that there is a leak between the control valve and the showerhead. the reason i say this is because it only leaks when or after the shower is used. and by the time it drips down the pipes, puddles and then seeps under the wall is why it doesn't show up until the shower is over.

guess number 2 is that the drain has some type or leak below or in the shower pan. the reason for it showing up after the shower is that it takes a while to pool under the shower floor and work it's way to where you see it.

the reason you always see it in the same place is probably due to the slope of the concrete floor.

Thanks; that gives me a couple places to start. Appreciate the response.

I have seen some showers leak where the trim plate sets on the shower wall, only when some one is in the shower and the water is splashing back on the trim plate. Maybe not to the extreme you are talking about.
    If you think it is in the shower riser what I have done is put a 1/2 threaded cap on the shower head arm and just turn on shower. This will show pretty quick with full pressure.
    Good luck

Very helpful, thanks again.

Howdy can you access the shower wall from the other side of the shower head ? I'd cut a small observation hole and see if leaking pipe. Have you considered removing and re sealing the shower head to the supply pipe with plumbers putty or Teflon tape first?
    I have handled insurance claims where drywall was screwed threw the pipe without any one knowing. Years later after the screw deteriorates the pipe leaks like this too.

Quote Originally Posted by theta1 View Post
    Very helpful, thanks again.
    Hey did you ever figure out what was leaking on your shower? Just curious

My guess is that water leaks out of the shower... Some how.