+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Bathroom water "eruption" - any ideas why?

YIKES !!!

By chance the name of the company doing the work isn't Crack Heads Plumbing

For starters --- it would have been more logical to tie in as close to the city main as possible -- eliminating as much as the old line as possible ( high lighted in red --- toward the back gate )

Second -- run the 4 inch toward the back corner of the garage --- bring the 2 inch into garage and tie into the 4 inch. ( highlighted in yellow )

Seems to me there was way more work , mess , material, and extra expense necessary to do the job --- not to mention the additional expense and work for landscaping.
    As Gizmo mentioned -- potential issues from blockages down the road. All changes in direction to the main drain are potential blockage points. Considering the maze of piping , angle fittings , the run , will negatively impact the flow of waste in a gravity drain system.

A long , long time ago when I first started out in the trades one of the first lessons learned was the K.I.S.S rule ( Keep It Simple Stupid ) --- it sure doesn't look like this was kept simple.

One good thing though --- at least the inside of the home didn't need to be gutted.

2 cents worth.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Unhappy Re: Bathroom water "eruption" - any ideas why?

[QUOTE=canuk;244024]

A long , long time ago when I first started out in the trades one of the first lessons learned was the K.I.S.S rule ( Keep It Simple Stupid ) --- it sure doesn't look like this was kept simple.QUOTE]

Canuk,they did keep it "KISS"simple by cutting the slab out wide enough to get the ENTIRE Komatsu PC35MR machine into the garage to dig with.
    There is no way they needed to cut that much of the slab out. They should of cut the slab narrower then removed the concrete and dig out with a shovel.

I wouldnt let them do the concrete repairs thats for sure.
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

It looks fine to me.
    If I'm not mistaken, I see a cleanout just as the pipe leaves the garage and before it reaches the Y.

I can't bring myself to share any of these comments with my mom! When I spoke with her this weekend, she was glad that the work was almost completed (they're coming back to back fill/pour concrete,etc., and wasn't even sure if a permit had been pulled for the work. I gently questioned some of the stuff they'd done, but it turns out she's been going to these guys for years, she knows them, etc.

I don't think there is much of an option of her ever getting a second opinion, or even think about using someone else in the future. I did ask her to tell me about any future plumbing woes she may have, and that'd I'd give her any information I could find before she called in someone to fix it.

I'm open to hearing more thoughts on the work that I showed here, as it all helps me better understand what I'm seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Canuk,they did keep it "KISS"simple by cutting the slab out wide enough to get the ENTIRE Komatsu PC35MR machine into the garage to dig with.
    There is no way they needed to cut that much of the slab out. They should of cut the slab narrower then removed the concrete and dig out with a shovel.

I wouldnt let them do the concrete repairs thats for sure.
    One things for sure --- they got one *S * and it isn't *simple*

I agree --- if they simply ran the 4 inch straight out the back of the garage -- tied the 2 inch inside the garage then all that would have been needed was to have narrow trenches cut out in the concrete floor.
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by MBeach View Post
    I can't bring myself to share any of these comments with my mom! When I spoke with her this weekend, she was glad that the work was almost completed (they're coming back to back fill/pour concrete,etc., and wasn't even sure if a permit had been pulled for the work. I gently questioned some of the stuff they'd done, but it turns out she's been going to these guys for years, she knows them, etc.

I don't think there is much of an option of her ever getting a second opinion, or even think about using someone else in the future. I did ask her to tell me about any future plumbing woes she may have, and that'd I'd give her any information I could find before she called in someone to fix it.

I'm open to hearing more thoughts on the work that I showed here, as it all helps me better understand what I'm seeing.
    MBeach --- sorry to be so blunt with the comments.
    I know exactly what you mean about your mother feeling strongly using these guys.

From this end it certainly looks as though things could have been done simpler and with less mess to clean up. It's not rocket science --- the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. With plumbing drains as straight of a line and short of a distance as possible is more benifical and desirable.
    As it is --- there are so many turns of direction and extended distance the downward slope toward the city drain is critcal. *Any* deficencies with the slope in this case will surely result in blockages.
    Yes, there is seemingly a cleanout in front of and outside the garage door ???
    It will be used that's for sure.
    One good thing --- there doesn't appear to be any hard 90 degree elbows.
    - Rush