+ Reply to Thread

Default Removing Glue etc. from Rubber-Backed Carpet on Concrete

Many years ago, when my house was originally built, some carpet was glued to the cellar floor. I have recently had a fellow use a long sc****r to get the actual carpeting, and most of the backing, up.

HOWEVER....he cannot seem to budge the thin, but tenacious, remaining black layer and glue. He has tried using three different solvents from Home Depot with neglgible success.

I called a carpeting store who said to go to a hardware store and buy a 14" razor blade sc****r, but our local Ace hardware doesn't carry it, and Home Depot never mentioned it in my several travels to get supplies and information.

I just can't seem to get beyond the above situation.

Suggestions, please...............thanks..........lili

Default Re: Removing Glue etc. from Rubber-Backed Carpet on Concrete

Try laying a folded towel on an area and soak it with boiling water. Let it set for a while and see if it comes up easily. If it does rent a wallpaper steamer to steam it for removal. I saw that suggestion from another poster on another thread.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Was gonna say paint thinner but ssounds like they are still atached to your eyes. So that would not be a good idea. They will probably be okay to take a shower or bath in as long as you don't scrub your eyes to much.

What is to be the next flooring material?

If you want to tile the floor, using any solvents will not be good as they will seep into the cement and close the pores. To get proper thinset adhesion you need a slab that will absorb moisture readily, even if you install a waterproofing membrane designed to handle tile.

The black stuff (cutback) is best removed with a floor grinder. This will also take off the very top layer of cement, and get you some nice open pores. You don't need it 100% removed. Being able to see through it (ghosting) is fine, as long as the slab absorbs water. Place a wet sponge on the floor. Wait 20 minutes to see if the water penetrated. Do this test in several spots.

Try a scrapper like this one,they can be purchased at most flooring stores. Some rental centers have them also..... You can also rent electric floor scrappers at any rental center or Home Depot

http://www.tools4flooring.com/crain-...**r-p-509.html
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content