+ Reply to Thread

Default Value of heated garage

I recently installed a 30,000 BTU natural gas heater to my 2 car attached garage. I was wondering how much that increased the value of my house. It is currently about $200K house in a Minneapolis MN suburb.

Thanks

Default Re: Value of heated garage

My gut feeling -- and I know nothing about the Minneapolis real estate market -- is that it's not going to increase the value, unless heated garages are a common in your area. Most people don't spend a lot of time in their garages, and most attached garages get enough heat transmitting through the walls to prevent freezing. If your garage is set up as a workshop, too, it may make a difference, but the workshop will provide more value than the heater will.

In my opinion, you should never base home improvement decisions on the value added, unless:
    1. You are currently trying to sell your house;
    2. You need to bring your house up to neighborhood standards; and
    3. The value added exceeds the cost of the project.

Other than that, your only consideration should be what makes it a nicer place for you to live, and whether the cost is worth it to your well-being.

If you overbuild for the neighborhood it reduces your chances of recouping costs at resale.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

fencepost gave a perfect answer....all i could add to that is to ask a local real estate agent, they should give you the same answer as fencpost plus the dollar value you're looking for be it negative, positive or the same.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, it does get below zero in the attached garage. I have seen it down to 20 degrees. When it stays below 32 for a month and down to -20, I guess that would be expected. I do have a little shop on one half, park my truck on the other. I do not want to bother a Realtor, not planning to sell. I am really trying to justify to my wife....lol. I spent about $400 for the heater, hung it myself(probably saved $400), spent about $500 for someone to run electrical and gas. Heated garages are of a value in MN. My gut feel is that it added about $2000, but have no way to verify.

Thanks

If you have children, tell her the next time they have a winter party it can be set up in the heated garage rather than having cake and cool aid ground into the carpeting in the house. It will save her more than the cost in work and aggravation.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Let your wife park her car in the heated garage and she won't complain.
    The heat would be nice also to dry up all the snow & slush melt that makes a mess in my garage.

Quote Originally Posted by mdgoebel View Post
    ... I am really trying to justify to my wife....lol. I spent about $400 for the heater, hung it myself(probably saved $400), spent about $500 for someone to run electrical and gas. ...
    If you did not discuss this with your wife before you did it, that was your first mistake. Any financial decision that involves more money than what you have in your pocket should be agreed upon by both of you. To do otherwise always creates stress in a marriage, unless you are extremely wealthy.

I don't know your wife, but I'd guess that you'll get a lot farther by explaining that it is for your comfort when you are working in your workshop rather than trying to justify it based on resale value. Even better if it means she'll finally get that bookcase she's been after you to build.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

I think it depends on how well the future buyers, if a couple, get along with each other.

A heated garage is much better than a dog house or a motel for a few nights........... Especially in these economic times with regard to the motel.

Maybe put a fold down bed, camp stove and portapotty in there.

For example; It could be used once a month by many prospective married buyers for a few days and also rented out to married friends once a month as well............For a little extra income........You know.

LOL....good suggestions all. To be clear, she knows and was supportive of the heater. She does have her own garage, not heated....yet.