+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bathroom water "eruption" - any ideas why?

My mother was running her washing machine yesterday evening and as went into its draining cycle, her sink, toilet, and shower erupted water.

She had multiple plumbers come out today, and they've been unable to disclose what the possible issue is. They're suggesting that they jackhammer up the concrete in her bathroom to find the culprit, and tossing out "over $1000" loose quotes.

Any clue what would have caused this issue?

Thanks!

Default Re: Bathroom water "eruption" - any ideas why?

If the water is backing up elsewhere in the house, that indicates that the drain system is unable to evacuate the waste water, at least not at the volume being supplied by the washing machine. This tells me that there is a restriction in the system that wasn't there before, which could be a waste blockage, tree roots, or collapsed line. Before any jack hammering occurs, I'd recommend hiring a plumber with a camera to send it down the lines for inspection. While this service isn't free, it's a darned sight better than needlessly demolishing something that is not the problem. It is possible that all that is necessary is an augering of the lines. Worst case scenario is the exact location of the blockage will be deduced without any unnecessary exploratory surgery which will cost far more to repair.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Huge thanks, I've shared your information with her, I sure hope this helps save her some money and get to the root of the problem (no pun intended) in a cheaper, less invasive way.

I'll share the end result here as well.

A proper inspection as mentioned above is the way to go. A back up may be caused by a collapsed line or other blockage but it can also be caused by a blocked vent.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

It turns out some of my mothers pipes collapsed, which is what caused the water to flow back up.

She had her plumber look at the pipes, which prompted the city to become interested since her plumber thought the collapse might be on city land. After the city came out, they discovered that the collapsed pipe is not only on my mothers property, but underneath her current garage.

Next step will be to go through the concrete and replace the pipes.

Thanks everyone.

Now aren't you glad you didn't let them jack hammer the bathroom?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Yes Spruce, thank you!

I must say, it's really wonderful to be able to post here and get such positive, friendly, helpful answers. My mother lives many states away from me, so it's a challenge for me help her out with home issues. She lives in an older home (built in the 20's), and often reaches out to me when problems pop up. I admittedly have very little home experience, so being able to post questions here is fantastic.

They did wind up having to tear up a portion of my mothers garage. Turns out in the past that the plumbing used to run through an outhouse, which, when demolished, the previous owners laid concrete over and built the garage over it. Since there was no way to get to the pipe, the plumbers went through the concrete to lay the new pipe.

Here are images my mother snapped of the progress.

***,,,looks like they really hacked the place up. The didnt need to cut that much of the floor up.

Why didnt they take the main line straight out under the side garage wall footing then bring the 2" line around the side of the garage to tie it in.

That big U-shaped mess looks like future trouble to me.
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    ***,,,looks like they really hacked the place up. The didnt need to cut that much of the floor up.

Why didnt they take the main line straight out under the side garage wall footing then bring the 2" line around the side of the garage to tie it in.

That big U-shaped mess looks like future trouble to me.
    When I first saw this, I wondered the exact same thing. Even thought I don't know much about plumbing, it just seemed odd to build out this complex system when it appears you could simply make it a straight shot.

I asked my mother about it today, and she informed me that the plumbers didn't want it to go under the house and then make a 90 degree bend in the pipe. Again, I don't know much about what that means in the plumbing industry, but where the 2" line comes in appears to me to be a 90 degree bend?

Regardless, that's what she was told. All the work is done, all that has to completed is pouring the new concrete.

Seems like they could have put a cleanout in the yard if they had gone under (through?) the footer and had the 90. With all of it under the driveway, with no cleanout, it's all inaccessible under 4" of concrete. Not optimal.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.