+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question VERY simple electrical question

I bought a ceiling fan that was a display model. The wires were cut short and I need to make them longer. I feel confident doing that but I have a question about something I never needed before. I understand black to black etc., but for the simple extension of the wires does it matter what color the plastic coating is when I buy it from the store? Are they all the same with the exception of the color of the plastic (and maybe the ground wire)? Thanks

Default Re: VERY simple electrical question

No the color of the insulation is just that a different color. Different functions are generally different colors to aid in making connections only.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    No the color of the insulation is just that a different color. Different functions are generally different colors to aid in making connections only.
    Jack
    And for that reason I'd recommend maintaining the proper colors for your extension pieces as well. Since you can buy wire by the foot at nearly any retailer who carries it, it's not that big a deal to get the right colors and it's not going to cost you any more to do it right.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I have seen at Lowe's and Home Depot wire extension kits for ceiling fans. This is for when you install a longer downrod, but it will probably work for your situation as well.

Rather than lengthening the wires, I recommend replacing them if your fan is the type with a junction box underneath for a light kit. All you have to do is open that junction box and replace the too-short wires going up the downrod.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Talking Re: VERY simple electrical question

Thanks to all of you. I will keep the color coding just to be safe but it is good to know the answer just for the basic knowledge. I like the idea about Home Depot and Lowe's. Oddly, I will shortening the rod which I did not consider when I was looking at the project. Thanks again.