+ Reply to Thread

Default Water Heater Anode with Resistor

I have a question about the Rheem "R Tech Resistor Magnesium Anode". I was curious about the reason for using a resistor and found this opinion on the web: "Rtech rods have a resistor in them to slow down the function of the anode, a strategy for ensuring that the anode isn't consumed in aggressive water before the warranty ends."

It seems to me that protecting the anode is counterproductive because corrosion of the steel tank would increase. Wouldn't a homeowner be better off using a plain magnesium anode without the resistor when it is time to replace the old R Tech anode?
    Last edited by hooperkj; 03-13-2011 at 10:27 PM. Reason: clarification

Default Re: Water Heater Anode with Resistor

The resistorized anode is one of their best anodes, and is used only in their most expensive products. It is not quickly eaten up in high mineral content water, and more importantly, it does not release hydorgen as fast, which leads to other problems with bacteria and a "rotten egg" smell. I am not sure about your warranty question, but I would think it would be difficult to get a free replacement part with the word "sacrificial" in it's name. Here is a link with more info:

http://www.globalimageserver.com/Fet...3-b0ed9abe41cd
    "Lead by Example"

Default Re: Water Heater Anode with Resistor

Thanks, ZZZ for the link; good info there. Looks like sticking with the RTech anode is best for a number of reasons.