+ Reply to Thread

Default Painting Over A Top Coat

I had my summer home, in Connecticut, repainted last year, by a professional. I now have 2 gallons of latex primer left over. I was wondering if I could paint over the top coat with this primer as a way of getting rid of this excess paint. I can't return this paint as I have already had this paint tinted to match the same color as the house (dark gray). Would this latex primer affect the top coat (also latex) in any way.

Default Re: Painting Over A Top Coat

Unless you painted your walls with flat paint, it will look very different. Primer isn't paint. Its primer.

There are many ways to recycle paint. Many cities offer it. Theater groups are always on the lookout for free set materials. Artists, Habitat for Humanity, Boy Scouts, groups who repair housing for the poor, injured and those effected by natural disaster and the like can use free materials.

Default Re: Painting Over A Top Coat

Primer is not intended as a finish coat. It degrades withing weeks and thereafter should not be topcoated without re-priming or washing of the primer.

If your primer is in full cans, it will keep for literally years. You might just hang onto it until the next paint job.