+ Reply to Thread

Default counter top/ backsplash interface

we have granite top and backsplash. Initially the interface was grouted. Over time ( the house is 16 years old) and with settling, the grout has cracked, separated, etc. The interface space now varies from 1/8 to 1/4 inch. I would rather grout than caulk (for appearance sake). Can I assume that there won't be much additional movement? Or is grout a bad idea? Also the interface space is 1 inch deep (the thickness of the backsplash). It looks as though this was originally filled with something other than grout ( mortar?) and then grouted. Should I do something similar ? I don't think filling that size space with only grout is a good idea. Thanks for any help.

Default Re: counter top/ backsplash interface

the backsplash should have been attached to the wall with silicon like the granite countertop to the cabinets. then the seam between the countertop and the backsplash is usually caulked. i've never heard of someone grouting that seam, if you do, it's only a matter of time before it cracks again, much like the corners of a grouted shower stall. my advice would be to use a colored silicon caulk that comes as close to the color of the granite as possible.

Default Re: counter top/ backsplash interface

Had a feeling I might get that advice. The backsplash is attached to the wall. Thanks.