+ Reply to Thread

Default Fence on block wall

Hello,

I am new to this forum so if this is posted in the wrong place...I apologize. I read and article that Tom Silva wrote in response to a readers question asking, "What's the best way to build a 2-foot-high fence on top of an existing cement-block retaining wall?" The advice that Mr. Silva gave was very good, here is the link http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/askt...037943,00.html

My question is what do you do if you do not have access to the cores? My block wall is flat on top I do not have access to these cores that Mr. Silva is telling us to fill with concrete. So if I take this 4X4 and place it on top of my block wall what is the best way to attach it?
    What is the type of hardware I should be using? My wooden fence, once erected on the block wall, will be 3' high. I live in the southwest, albuquerque, a very dry climate and winds can get up to 45mph here a few months out of the year. I don't want to have to mess with these posts for a very long time so durability and longevity is my goal here.

Thank you all for your help.

Default Re: Fence on block wall

if the cores are already filled, your best bet may be to go with a post anchors designed for deck posts, its a galvanized metal connector thats U shaped which will accept a 4x4 or 6x6. you will need a hammer drill with a large bit and wedge anchors. you can anchor the bracket to the concrete then fasten the 4x4 to it. this isnt the strongest method because the post wont be as strong as burying it in the ground when it comes to lateral strength resisting wind forces, the post may give way or the block wall may tip
    fire up the saw and make some dust