+ Reply to Thread

Default Possible sinking foundation

My back door is suddenly hard to close because the top is catching on the frame. The wood door doesn't ordinarily swell in the winter to the point of causing a problem.
    We've received a lot of rain recently and the area around the house is very soggy. There is also water in the crawl space. So I fear the worst, that the water inundation has shifted the foundation.
    The house was built in 1993 and has clay-dominant soil around it. I know I need to put in a French drain to drain the water away and build up the grade. Having the funds and resources to do this has been a challenge.
    I need to know if there are any other possible reasons why the door is doing this, and if the foundation has indeed shifted, what can be done to fix it and how much would it cost.

Default Re: Possible sinking foundation

give the door some time, like you said youve seen a good amount of rain lately and its wooden. wood doors swell up when they get wet, good chance thats all it is. check the doors upstairs aroiudn the openings for cracking in the drywall or plaster. if you start seeing this then your more likely to have foundation issues. and if that happens consult an engineer
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Default Re: Possible sinking foundation

What kind of primer are you using? A primer that's silicone based will help fill in those pores a bit and if you don't want to accentuate them, make sure you stick to matte products. Anything with a shimmer is gonna look crater-y. Good luck!