Just engaged in a recent debate with my brother about what is the best material to use to fill the gaps between two pieces of molding or trim around doors (that have subsequently appeared since their last installation).

He thinks that filling the gaps with joint compound is more permanent, while I thought that a wood filler may be a bit better.

Any thoughts on which one is better? What other filler would you suggest?

Thanks in advance.