+ Reply to Thread

Default Filling Molding and Trim Gaps

Just engaged in a recent debate with my brother about what is the best material to use to fill the gaps between two pieces of molding or trim around doors (that have subsequently appeared since their last installation).

He thinks that filling the gaps with joint compound is more permanent, while I thought that a wood filler may be a bit better.

Any thoughts on which one is better? What other filler would you suggest?

Thanks in advance.

Alexandrasdad

Default Re: Filling Molding and Trim Gaps

Is the finsh paint or stain? Paint i use paintable silicone caulk as it gives alittle for temperature changes. Stained i use the colored filler.

It is painted. Now, I know the original contractors used caulk along the line of the ceiling and walls, and probably used it within the original joints as well. But, that caulk is beginning to break away, and some of these gaps between the molding pieces themselves seem to be quite large.

I assume you would opt for the wood filler?

Large seperations i would fill with auto bondo filler and sand and repaint. At corners of casing i would add nail from side of one casing into the other to help stop seperation.

Wood expands and shrinks using a filler that becomes solid, like joint compound, most wood filler, or bondo, will crack and separate. Use paintable caulk or if large openings use flexible epoxy.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Good quality painters latex which comes in a caulking tube. Force it into the cracks and wipe off with a wet rag or sponge. But that's just what has worked for me. I ain't no painter.

Well, thanks everyone for confirming what I was hoping to get around, working with caulk.

Thanks for the responses.

alexandrasdad