I've got a house that was built around 1947. Some aspects have not been updated in a very long time. For example, I took down a few ceiling lights last night and lo and behold: brown wires. Black wires, too. But the brown wires threw me.
From what I can tell, brown wires are neutral in the UK, whereas in the US neutral is typically white. Now these wires are old--totally ungrounded. Is it just the case that brown wires were used for neutral in the 1940s?
(Or maybe my wiring is older. Maybe it was put in while we were still part of the UK!? )
At any rate, has anyone ever seen or dealt with brown wires? They are a uniform brown, so it's very unlikely that they are just dirty or aged. (Though they are, both.)
Oh, and while I've got you reading: is it worth re-wiring the room--this is a kitchen we're talking about--to put in grounded line? I'm working off a move-in, first-house budget, so money is tight. Is grounding something I should put money toward now, or later?