+ Reply to Thread

Default basement floor drain

When we had our house built we told the builder to put a drain in the middle of the floor and slope the floor gradually towards it in case of water pipes bursting etc. What we didn't tell him was to include drainage pipes to take that water away,so he gave us a drain to nowhere. Everytime the water table rises to that level we get flooded, since the drain is in the center of the floor I really don't want to dig it out and put in a sub pump, can I excavate around it and then patch it with something, any ideas will help as I'm really tired of cleaning up this mess.Thanks

Default Re: basement floor drain

Is the rest of the slab in good shape?

You could try a simple test first - plug the pipe with a wing nut test plug, sold at home burrito. If that hold the water back then you're in business. If the basement still floods, then you have other problems.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    Is the rest of the slab in good shape?

You could try a simple test first - plug the pipe with a wing nut test plug, sold at home burrito. If that hold the water back then you're in business. If the basement still floods, then you have other problems.
    Thanks for your reply, the rest of the slab is okay, there is no drain pipe, only a drain cover...bascially just a hole in the floor with a drain cover on top, never heard of a wing nut test plug but will look into it today as we're expecting 2 days of rain

You'll find them in the plumbing dept of the big box stores. They come in standard pipe sizes. They are made with a black rubber donut that gets squished between 2 metal plates, tightened with a wing nut usually.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    You'll find them in the plumbing dept of the big box stores. They come in standard pipe sizes. They are made with a black rubber donut that gets squished between 2 metal plates, tightened with a wing nut usually.
    Just returned from the local hardware store with a wing nut test plug, installed it and I do believe for the first time that my basement will be dry after a big storm.Thanks for your advice,with a big storm moving in later today I can rest a little easier.

My pleasure, let us know how it goes.

If you have snaked the drain line properly it should open up the clog and the drain....did the line go all the way in???? Repeat the snaking a few times.....why call Roto Rooter??