+ Reply to Thread

Default Painted metal door

The original white metal door has been painted dark blue. How can I remove the dark blue paint? What type of paint do I need to use to paint the door in the future? The seal around the decorative glass insert has also been painted and needs to be removed. What is the best way to remove the paint from the seal? Will I need to replace the seal? Please help

Default Re: Painted metal door

No need to remove paint. If really want to, have to sand it off or use paint stripper. I suggest just sanding lightly, use a paint primer sealer, then repaint. You can use a exterior latex enamel, easy to use, easy to clean. Weather stripping can possibly be cleaned with lacquer thinner. No need to replace the weather stripping as long as it is sealing properly. Hope this helps.
    Hidden Content GregC, President/Founder of Hidden Content

Default Re: Painted metal door

Weatherstripping only costs several dollars. It is not worth trying to clean it.

If the paint is in good condition, simply prime/paint over it. It it has heavy brush marks from past paint jobs, you will not be able to get rid of them by sanding. In that case, I would pull the door and use chemical stripper on it while it is in a horizontal position. The frame around the window is probably plastic and I would be careful with stripper on it. The chemicals could dissolve the PVC plastic from which they are made.