+ Reply to Thread

Default Foam Tileable Shower Floor Pan (as seen on episode few months ago)

My brother-in-law recorded a TOH episode which demonstrated the installation of a foam pan, glued and set right over the subfloor of a shower. Then they showed how a plastic membrane was glued down, then overlaped by corners and finally sheets down the walls overlapping the corners. They explained that this was then ready to tile.

It didn't give a name, information on cost or where to purchase it. I am renovating a house for my wife and I and she really wants a tiled floor in the shower. The floor will be 36"x60" with the door and curb on the 60" side and a 12" bench seat on the opposite side from the door going the whole 60 inches. I will need a pan 36"x60" with a center drain and I would guess a piece 12"x60" for the top of the bench seat.

Any thoughts on the foam produce? Any suggestions or ideas? I appreciate all help offered.

-Joe

Default Re: Foam Tileable Shower Floor Pan (as seen on episode few months ago)

sounds like the schluter shower system

Not sure what the big deal on a foam pan is, unless you want to jump up and down on it. An acrylic base that sits on the subfloor mortared or plastered in would be much more solid than a five lb foam pan. A correctly tiled copper pan would probably be the only thing remaining after a tornado. But you get what you pay for?? Maybe that's your consideration. If it were my house.....

Shaun

I have worked with the foam inset pieces before. I do not know there name and have tried finding them as well. Try a Plumbing Supply House and ask.

What you should also know is that it is not regular PLASTIC that is the shower pan. It is a thicker rubber memebrane that you can also buy at the Plumbing Supply House. You want to overlap the shower pan minimum 6' up all the walls and use roofing nails to secure it (they have a larger head). Also, there is a special type shower drain that you will need to purchase for the shower.

The foam pieces create a sloped angle to the drain for you. Alot of custom shower I have seen are flat. Flat does not drain. You can also make the slop out of plywood. Remember, after you install the shower pan (thick rubber memebrane) you will want to test the pan to make sure it is water tight.

Good luck. Process of elimination.
    Process of elimination. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by rimroker31 View Post
    My brother-in-law recorded a TOH episode which demonstrated the installation of a foam pan, glued and set right over the subfloor of a shower. Then they showed how a plastic membrane was glued down, then overlaped by corners and finally sheets down the walls overlapping the corners. They explained that this was then ready to tile.

It didn't give a name, information on cost or where to purchase it. I am renovating a house for my wife and I and she really wants a tiled floor in the shower. The floor will be 36"x60" with the door and curb on the 60" side and a 12" bench seat on the opposite side from the door going the whole 60 inches. I will need a pan 36"x60" with a center drain and I would guess a piece 12"x60" for the top of the bench seat.

Any thoughts on the foam produce? Any suggestions or ideas? I appreciate all help offered.

-Joe
    You're probably thinking about the Schluter system http://www.schluter.com/143.aspx

These shower kits are very DIY friendly and they work well.
    The advantage of the floor pan is they bare easy to cut and fit to the existing space rather than trying to fit a pre-made pan.

You wouldn't need the foam for the top of the bench. Frame out the bench and cover it with the Kerdi material which makes it water tight and accepts the mortor for the tile.

Hope this helps.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush