+ Reply to Thread

Question Look-fors in a Sliding Patio Door?

The seal recently broke in the large pane of glass in our otherwise great sliding patio door. Besides a little condensation, are there other problems associated with this broken seal? ("Loss of energy" is what I was told by one person.)Since I will begin my search to replace this door, what should I be looking for to get a simple yet quality door? I do not want to lose my view, so the more glass the better. I am also interested in one of the newer screens that allows you to see better. I would appreciate any advice. Thank you!

Default Re: Look-fors in a Sliding Patio Door?

If you are otherwise satisfied with the door, why replace it? Insulated windows commonly break their seals and can be replaced. If you know the manufacturer, that is often the most cost effective way to replace them. I had such a broken seal on my Milgard patio door and they replaced it under the warranty, even though I was not the original owner.

Many of these doors use standard size window glass and stock sizes will just plopp in. I would consult a glass company.

Thank you for the suggestion. Sounds good!

i totally agree with ordjen, provided its not an older style you should be able to get ahold of a local rep for that company and get them to send out a technician who can measure up the pane so they can order a replacement then install it
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Just another thought: If your doors are somewhat older, they may not have Low-E glass in them. Low-E glass can make a dramatic difference, especially in very cold climates or where the door gets direct, hot summer sunshine. It would be worth it to inquire about upgrading the good window also. Low-E glass reflects the heat back toward the heat source. It keeps the summers' heat out and the winters' heat in!

Low-E glass is easy to determine. It will have a somewhat mirrored look. Mine looked like a bluish mirror at night when it was dark outside and light inside.

Good point...The sliding patio dors are 40 years old, but are in otherwise very good condition. So you think I could replace two panels of glass with Low-E glass for less than the price of new doors? Thank you!

Not just for the price of the doors, but the installation costs as well. Don't forget you'd have to do some minor drywall work and repainting.... New glass is going to be much cheaper.