+ Reply to Thread

Default IC rated recessed lighting

I am going to be doing some remodeling in my kitchen and am looking at installing the HALO H38LVICAT 3" IC AIR-TITE recessed housing. Does the IC rating include blown in insulation or should I replace the insulation in this area with fiberglass? I don't know what the insulation is made of but I know it is not fiberglass, it looks more like a "newspaper".

Default Re: IC rated recessed lighting

ic rated lighting means the can has a thermal in the circuit and when it gets so hot it turns the light off untill the light cools down. you still have to heep the insulation 3" away from the can. the light is rated for a 60w or lower bulb and if you exceed this it could start the insulation to burn.
    i am a master electrician an known what i'm telling you.

You probably have blown in cellulose insulation (which is treated with a fire retardant during manufacture). IC rated fixtures are for direct contact with any insulation material. They have sealed all the openings which would allow the insulation to get into the fixture, and the fixture is able to dissipate the heat created by the lamp, if you do not exceed the rating on the label for maximum watts. Sometime around 2002 all recessed can fixtures were required to have thermal protectors, both IC and Non-IC.

http://www.cooperlighting.com/conten...ion_guide3.cfm
    Last edited by ZZZ; 03-08-2011 at 01:04 AM.
    "Lead by Example"

Quote Originally Posted by jwhson View Post
    ic rated lighting means the can has a thermal in the circuit and when it gets so hot it turns the light off untill the light cools down. you still have to heep the insulation 3" away from the can. the light is rated for a 60w or lower bulb and if you exceed this it could start the insulation to burn.
    i am a master electrician an known what i'm telling you.
    Ha ha.
    If you are a master electrician then how come you don't know that IC rated light fixtures can be in direct contact with insulation. They don't need 3 inch clearance.