+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lost power

Question Lost power

Hi, i went on vacation last week only to return to find that one wall of electric is out in my home. Luckily, my son, was home to re-connect the fridge to another socket as it is/was connected to the same wall. Any clues and how may I get the electric back??

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP
    radar444

Default Re: Lost power

First check for a tripped breaker, then press the reset buttons on any GFCI outlets.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Then plug a lamp (turned on) into each dead outlet and wiggle the plug. If the light comes back on with wiggling the plug, you likely found the problem. Turn off the breaker and take off the outlet cover and carefully pull the outlet from the wall. Check to make sure the wires are tightly attached. Put the outlet back into the wall, reset the cover and turn the breaker back on. Are all the outlets hot now?

If yes, time for a beer and celebration!
    If no, repeat the process with each dead outlet. If still no success, call an electrician to diagnose the problem.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Then plug a lamp (turned on) into each dead outlet and wiggle the plug. If the light comes back on with wiggling the plug, you likely found the problem. Turn off the breaker and take off the outlet cover and carefully pull the outlet from the wall. Check to make sure the wires are tightly attached. Put the outlet back into the wall, reset the cover and turn the breaker back on. Are all the outlets hot now?

If yes, time for a beer and celebration!
    If no, repeat the process with each dead outlet. If still no success, call an electrician to diagnose the problem.

if no better grab a case, could be a long day!!!!

To all,, i did what you said to do with the lamp and I got a flicker in the one socket. the other socket nothing. I turned breaker off and removed the covers to both sockets and found 1 of 2 neutral (white) wires of the same socket to be charred (insulation). I cut about an inch or so of the wire off reconnected to the socket and made sure all wires were connected,I turned the breaker back on and still no power to those sockets. Did I do something wrong.The socket that had the charred wire wasn't the same one where I got the lamp to flicker.
    THANKS