+ Reply to Thread

Default Repairing plaster walls

I would like to repair/refinish some plaster walls in my 1944 home. There are a few small cracks but the main issue for me is uneven texture on some slanting walls. I'm not sure if the unevenness is due to cracks that are not yet visible or poorly repaired ones from the past, but I am fairly certain it is mainly due to gravity. Does anyone know if there is a way to even out the wall texture or what type of compound to use. The walls are painted, do I need to take down the paint or can I directly apply new compound? I'm just not sure what to do, cracking isn't the major issue just unevenness and I haven't been able to find any articles or advise on this issue.

Default Re: Repairing plaster walls

Howdy, i use an old bottle opener to sc**** open the cracks and fill with drywall mud and tape and float out the area and so the same with uneven areas of my plasterd walls. To stay with plaster instead similar repair with plaster instead of drywall mud then skim coat.... depends on what type of paint as to adhesion of repair. Consider trying a small reapir see if adhesion issues to paint...

If you mean texture, you are talking about the finish of the plaster. It sounds more like you mean there is bowing and sagging in the wall, not the texture of the wall coating. If you have bulges, wobbles, bowing or drooping walls, it probably means the plaster is coming lose from the lath. The key portion of the plaster has broken away and left the flat panel of plaster free to sag. You can use a product called Big Wally's plaster repair, which glues the plaster back to the lath, or you can use "plaster buttons" (big washers) to screw the plaster back to the lath, then you cover it all with mixing compound.

the trick is that if you push on the plaster and it moves at all, you're going to need to re-establish it, or whatever you do to the surface will just be on the floor in a matter of time, when the wall falls down.

Quote Originally Posted by allie8454 View Post
    I would like to repair/refinish some plaster walls in my 1944 home. There are a few small cracks but the main issue for me is uneven texture on some slanting walls. I'm not sure if the unevenness is due to cracks that are not yet visible or poorly repaired ones from the past, but I am fairly certain it is mainly due to gravity. Does anyone know if there is a way to even out the wall texture or what type of compound to use. The walls are painted, do I need to take down the paint or can I directly apply new compound? I'm just not sure what to do, cracking isn't the major issue just unevenness and I haven't been able to find any articles or advise on this issue.
    Reason for uneven surface maybe from one of the following.board joints,studs or joint not on the same plane, lath pulling loose from studs.
    If you can check from the top side you can find out what type lath was used?
    1944 I would rule out matel lath (war time )that would leave wood lath or rock lath Wood lath that was sagging would show bad cracking and rock lath failing would show cracks 16 inches vertical and 48 inches horizonal.
    If lath and plaster is sound and not detatched from studs than you can use a veneer plaster system to repair use mesh tape over all cracks apply veneer plaster as per instructions.
    Some Veneer plaster system available that I have used.
    American Clay.
    Franklin Stucco veneer plaster
    Master of Plaster this is my choice no bonding agent required can be applied over painted surface.
    Big Wally adhesive is for plaster over wood lath.
    Plaster washers can be used over most plaster surfaces if required.
    JOINT COMPOUND OF ANY KIND WILL FAIL OVER A PLASTER SYSTEM a lot of repairs have been completed with DRYWALL COMPOUNDS and these type of repairs fail and are very good for My plaster business living in a high moisture area it only takes a small amount of dampness to cause failure say like a large storm and no power for about a week pressto JOINT COMPOUND and PAINT FAIL THE PLASTER WILL REMAIN UNDAMAGED.