+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Packing Peanuts

Question Packing Peanuts

Does anyone know the R-value of packing peanuts? I've got a lot of them and would like to recycle them as attic insulation if they are not going to cause problems.

Default Re: Packing Peanuts

honestly not too sure, i have seen it in homes in the past but its not designed for insulation though it is the same foam as polystyrene sheets. the flaw with it is it creates small pockets of air which heat can pass through where the sheets are one solid mass which acts a thermal break

i cant see it hurting anything if you were to take it up in your attic and use it to top off the insulation you already have up there
    fire up the saw and make some dust

I believe they are also considered a fire hazard.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

yes and no jack, all forms of styrofoam are a fire hazard, however it must not be exposed on the interior of the house. it must have drywall covering it. this goes for spray foam as well
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Thanks for your input!

Styrofoam aka styrene and polystyrene, and the newer polyurethane foams aka spray foam, foam in a can, and Great Stuff, are combustible. The real danger, though, is smoke. A good example is in the famous "The Station" nightclub fire where pyrotechnics ignited the stryofoam ceiling covering, causing over 200 injuries and 100 deaths. See NIST video of smoke which was at fatal levels in 90 seconds.
    http://listverse.com/2010/03/08/top-...ht-club-fires/

The problem with all plastic based materials is in the smoke, which is the usual cause of death, not the fire itself. Here is a good example of why fire fighters have to wear breating apparatus. Many of the chemicals produced like cyanide, are almost instantly fatal.

http://ntlinsulation.com/images/firesmoke.pdf

This is why you should be very cautious of what you put in your attic.
    "Lead by Example"

Besides , I doubt the packing peanuts have any ASTM or UL certifications or classification as a building material or as insulation within buildings. Something insurance companies frown upon.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Besides what's been said the IRC (international residential code)requires foam to be covered even in an attic.

It's actually the first time I hear about that...

Happy day! hope you live close so i can finally get rid of my packing ..... lol