Thread: my first job

Default my first job

This is my wall and i want to know how i go about fixing it myself instead of going to my slow landlord!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	019.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	2279   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	020.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	2280  

Default Re: my first job

Rather than writing a long winded description I would suggest you check this out.
    http://www.mygreathome.com/fix-it_gu...hing_holes.htm

The only thing I would add is that you cut the filler piece of drywall first hold it over the area to be patched and trace around it so when you square up the hole it will be the size of the patch.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: my first job

How are you at frosting a cake? It's not much different than taping & mudding a wall, only easier.

Having done a bit of drywall (not a lot), I can say that patching is not hard or complicated work. But getting it to look decent takes skill (which I lack) and getting it to look great takes an artist (which I am not). I admire those who can patch a knock-down textured ceiling and leave you wondering where the patch was.

Two tips that a pro gave me were to not overwork the mud, and to make sure your knives are kept clean.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.