+ Reply to Thread

Default Boiler Pipe Insulation

I just had a new boiler installed - forced hot water. It's very nice, but in the process, I have lots of new piping running across the cold, cold basement.

I've looked at several types of pipe insulation, and I'm not happy with any of them.

At the big box stores, I get foam insulation. That's pretty nice, but it's kind of flimsy - it's only 3/8" of foam, and my old insulation was 5/8" of foam. 3/8" just doesn't seem like enough. According to the manufacturer, they're about R-2.

I tried the jointed fiberglass tubes, too. Also, just R-2, and I'd rather have the foam than more fiberglass.

I looked at Reflectix, an foil-coated air bubble sheet that can be wrapped around the pipe and stapled close. They claim R-4, but I'm doubtful. How much of the energy that I'm losing is radiant?

Any suggestions on how I can get some decent insulation on these pipes?

thanks,

-rsr-

Default Re: Boiler Pipe Insulation

The mylar bubble insulation uses a misleading R value and would be a mistake to use. It will not meet the 25/50 smoke and flame spread requirements which are required for fire safety.
    The true R value is closer to R-1 per layer. It will not meet most architectural specifications.

Polyehtylene tubes are not able to stand the temperatures required on hydronic systems and should not be used.

Armacell Armaflex SS is your best choice, and is available in up to 1". You only need 3/4" for your application. The self sealing is much easier to use.
    http://www.armacell.com/WWW/armacell...25775E003369BA
    "Lead by Example"

Default Re: Boiler Pipe Insulation

I looked at Reflectix, an foil-coated air bubble sheet that can be wrapped around the pipe and stapled close. They claim R-4, but I'm doubtful. How much of the energy that I'm losing is radiant..