+ Reply to Thread

Thread: inrerior walls

Hybrid View

Thumbs down inrerior walls

My house had an attached 2-car garage which was added after the house was finished. The inside of the garage wall shared with the house is covered with exterior cedar siding. I would like to remove that siding. ( I will use some of it to repair damaged siding on exterior walls. ) I believe that there is probably an exterior sheathing under the siding and that the wall is insulated, since it was originally an exterior wall. I don't know what would be best to material to use to replace it, or if it needs replacing. Maybe just paint it? It is just a garage with storage and workbench area, and I am not concerned about the finished look or matching other walls.

Anyone had similar experience and/or advice?
    Appreciate your help.

Default Re: inrerior walls

Check the building code in your city. Garages generally need to be fireproofed to adjoining structures. If there is no code, its a good idea anyway.

If there is no plywood, then adding some is on order. 1/2" is pretty standard, depending on where you live any any other material thickness you need to match. Cover the surface with fire rated drywall, 5/8" thick, taping and floating the seams.

ok, well not fire 'proofed' as much as I meant meeting the fire code.
    Last edited by HoustonRemodeler; 03-06-2011 at 11:07 PM. Reason: clarity

houston is correct, taking off the siding and reusing it where you need to repair some pieces should be fine. cedar isnt cheap.

5/8" drywall is the minimum code for an attached garage and must be taped with 2 coats here in canada, some builders will go as far as doing a double layer of 5/8 with the seams offset and taping the 2nd layer. the 5/8" board technically only has to go on any walls seperating the garage from the living space, same goes for ceilings
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Ditto.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb