Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2011

    Default Water leak between wall and concrete slab

    I live in Central Ohio and we have an old Florida room that I want to convert into a bedroom for my son. The floor is a concrete slab about 3 ft. off of the ground. The whole room is enclosed. My problem is any time it rains we get water leaks between the concrete slab and the wall. The horizontal board that sits on top of the slab is soft and rotting in places. What type of contractor should I call to come out and take a look at it? Also, can the board at the base of the wall and the top of the slab be replaced without tearing the whole wall out? Thanks for your help.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    nova scotia, canada

    Default Re: Water leak between wall and concrete slab

    well the leak definitely needs to be dealt with, the thing being is finding the actual source of hte water and fixing that. once that is done the spongy drywall will be fixed. this may involve opening up the entire wall to get at it or digging a trench around the outside to find a crack in the foundation which water is coming in through

    never put a band aid on a severed limb
    fire up the saw and make some dust

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    The Great White North

    Default Re: Water leak between wall and concrete slab

    Any professional carpenter or general contractor can evaluate the issue.

    As for replacing the bottom plate --- it can be replaced ,with some effort, without tearing down the wall. Temporary support structure to hold up the roof will need to be in place ---the stud to plate connection ( nails ) will be cut --- plate removed and new slid into place --- studs re-fastened to plate.

    However, if the bottom plate is rotted in one area it's likely you'll have others that may need attention as well --- especially if they are not pressure treated lumber laying on concrete.. Also, depending there may also be rotting to the studs resting on those bottom plates in which case they will either need splice repair or replacing.

    Now, the existing structure may not be suitable to be converted into living space.
    One thing to consider is the concrete slab -- it will be cold and will need special attention to insulate.
    Also, is the structure built to current building codes?

    Having a professional carpenter or contractor evaluate the structure for repair will also provide you with information if it can be worth using the existing struture or does it need a tear down and rebuild.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts