+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ceiling fan/ wall switch

I installed a new ceiling fan[wired it and ran 14-2 in the attic down the wall to a switch that operates a lamp as you enter the room. Took the single box out and replaced it with a double,now i have 2 sets of wires, the blk, white,gr thats hot to the lamp and blk, wh, gr for the fan. I can not figure out how to wire the switches to work separate. Do i need certain switches Thanks

Default Re: ceiling fan/ wall switch

It is doubtful that you have a neutral at the wall switch that operates the lamp (outlet? ), which means you don't have a complete circuit to tie the fan into.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Ido have a neutral[white]at the wall switch. Thks for replying

Quote Originally Posted by EJS View Post
    I installed a new ceiling fan[wired it and ran 14-2 in the attic down the wall to a switch that operates a lamp as you enter the room. Took the single box out and replaced it with a double,now i have 2 sets of wires, the blk, white,gr thats hot to the lamp and blk, wh, gr for the fan. I can not figure out how to wire the switches to work separate. Do i need certain switches Thanks
    Yep -- based on what you posted I agree with Sprucey.

It all depends where the existing lamp circuit gets it's constant source feed .

In other words , if the constant feed from the panel comes into the switch box then the existing lamp switch will have a black connected to the top and bottom screw connectors. The white would be the neutral connection extending to the lamp.

*If* this is the case -----
    it would be a simple matter of disconnecting the black from the bottom screw of the existing lamp switch ( which should be the constant supply ) ---- cut 2 short black wires ( pig tails ) and connect with a wire nut to that black wire --- connect 1 pigtail to the bottom screw of the existing and new switch. The new black for the fan then connects to the top screw of the new switch.
    The white neutral for the fan would simply connect to the neutral connection at the box.

However, it sounds as though black and white connect to the existing switch , which means the constant supply feed is coming from the lamp box.

*If* this is the case ----
    The white ( which should have been marked with a black marker or tape ) will be the constant supply to the switch --- the black will be the switched feed from the switch to the lamp --- no neutral at the switch box --- which means you're screwed with the way you have things wired since there won't be any neutral connection tto the new fan.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Ido have a neutral[white]at the wall switch. Thks for replying
    When you removed the switch for the lamp, what were the color of the wires attached to it? Betcha there was a black and a white, right? In this set up, the white wire is being used as a traveler for the hot leg it is NOT neutral.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks Sprucey,
    That is the case, besides being screwed is there a solution, can i redirect the fan wires down to a another outlet to get power so the fan operates on the pull chain. Thks

Thanks Sprucey,
    That is the case, besides being screwed is there a solution, can i redirect the fan wires down to a another outlet to get power so the fan operates on the pull chain. Thks
    You can still use a switch to operate the fan, you've already run the wire for it, so yes, all you have to do is get power to the fan location, then you'll wire it exactly as the lamp outlet is wired.

You can tap into a wall outlet or find another circuit in the attic to get your supply from. Bring a hot, neutral, and ground to the fan location, then this is where it's going to get a little tricky.

Tie the incoming ground, the switch leg ground, and a 4" length of bare wire as a pigtail to attach to the fan.
    Cap the incoming white (neutral ) and push it to the side, it will go to the fan.
    Tie the incoming black (hot ) to the white (traveler ) switch leg wire.
    Cap the black switch wire and push it to the side to attach to the fan.

The switch will get the white wire from the fan location to the top lug and the black to the bottom. You should use a black Sharpie and redesignate the white wire to black by coating at least the last 2" of the wire with ink.

You're now ready to install the fan. You did install a fan rated box, correct?

Or --- you can bring a *hot* and * neutral * into the switch box.
    Connect the new feed black and your switch feed black to the switch --- the new white *neutral* connected by a wire nut to your white to the fan.

If the existing lamp is nearby and the wiring is accessable you might be able to tap in there.
    Last edited by canuk; 03-05-2011 at 10:34 PM.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Thanks for the info guys, will give it a try and let you know. Thks

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Or --- you can bring a *hot* and * neutral * into the switch box.
    Connect the new feed black and your switch feed black to the switch --- the new white *neutral* connected by a wire nut to your white to the fan.

If the existing lamp is nearby and the wiring is accessable you might be able to tap in there.
    Yes, this will work too, whatever the fix, the neutral needs to be coming from the same circuit as the hot feed.